We don’t believe anyone can argue that this time of year isn’t the best season to share a hot bowl of chili during.
Chef Whittaker shows us how simple it is to substitute ground bison for a traditional chili recipe that is generally constructed with ground beef. Choose whichever protein source you wish. You can’t go wrong because this Smoked Paprika Bison Chili recipe is sure to blow your winter stockings off.
3 tbsp olive oil
1 pound ground bison
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 stalk celery, diced
1 large onions, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
3 clove garlic, minced
1 small can tomato sauce
1 large tin can diced tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup button mushrooms (cut in quarters)
½ tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
½ tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoon smoked hot paprika
2 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions (Serves 4-6):
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bison until brown.
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook celery, carrots, onions and garlic in olive oil until onion is translucent.
- Stir in bison, tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, chickpeas, kidney beans, bay leaves, cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, oregano, cayenne and salt and pepper.
- Simmer over low heat for 3 hours until desired consistency is met.
- Serve with your favourite crusty bread or cornbread.
Don’t forget to tag us in your kitchen creation @Turtlevalleybison on Instagram!
- The TVBCo Family
**More bison recipes are available with the purchase of each seasonal bison box delivery.